Once, I started writing a science fiction novel about a society recovering from the end of civilization. I called them the 10 Laws of Tribe.
THE TEN LAWS OF TRIBE
The end of the world was not sudden and apocalyptic. A tragedy is always worse when it is slow. It was so cruelly slow that we had time to see it and to understand it. When it was finished, there were not many of us left behind. Most of us banded together in tribes. Ours is the biggest. These are our laws.
- Knowledge must be protected at all costs. This law above all others.
- Tribe is all, family is next, self is third, outside is last. (Last is fourth, not least.)
- Nature is tribe. Take from her only what you need and what you can replace.
- From each according to his skill, to each according to his needs.
- No member shall willingly hurt another, or cause harm through negligence. Only The Mark is the exception.
- Nothing will be wasted or hoarded – no member will want above another.
- Purity of heart and goodness of intention will be presumed. Malice is to be proven.
- Beauty is truth and truth is knowledge. Unfounded belief is evil.
- The young are sacred.
- Common sense and the common good trump all other laws.