A great teacher…
- Sets up an atmosphere of trust, openness, support and collaboration where ideas and opinions can be exchanged without fear of failure or ridicule.
- Leads by example by being passionate about the learning experience.
- Inspires and nurtures innovation, creativity, critical thinking and individual expression.
- Possesses a general knowledge of other fields of study and incorporates this knowledge into lessons, encouraging connections between different fields of knowledge.
- Has an original and unique style of teaching (follows a spontaneous, intuitive and original methodology).
- Encourages students to learn experientially by exploring, researching, questioning, finding connections, experimenting, thinking, and reflecting.
- Knows the importance of fun, humor, personal stories, relaxed / informal / open-ended instruction and games in the classroom.
- Makes good use of learner-centered activities in order to get them interested, thinking and innovating.
- Treats students with respect, integrity and care.
- Allows students to fail safely.
Don’t forget to look me up on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SeanHCole
- Blog-a-gogy: 10 Things Blogging Has Taught Me About Teaching (seanhamptoncole.wordpress.com)
- 20 Reasons Why (Some) Teachers Are What’s Wrong With Education (seanhamptoncole.wordpress.com)